I did a KonMari of my closet in April (Link Here) and that completely transformed the way I look at my belongings. When I open my closet doors or pull out a drawer, I feel fulfilled if there are just a few things I adore. After the giant purge, there are a few general categories where I own nothing I “love”, so I’m getting great satisfaction from sewing exactly what I want.
The most recent project was a dressing gown. I’ve got two big, cozy bathrobes for lounging about in winter, but only one lightweight robe, and it’s black lace … not exactly appropriate for watering the plants on the back patio at 6:30 am. (Yes, it is fenced so no frightening small children or old men.)
I deliberately chose a pattern that would give me an opportunity to develop new sewing skills, then I selected a fabric that was fun and in a colour that I would be happy to look at every morning. Camouflaging spilled coffee is a bonus 😉
The version chosen was A (contrasting collar and cuffs), but in the B (shorter) length. The fabric is a poly cotton blend that can be washed and dried in the machine (bonus!). It has a bit of texture to it – I am not quite sure how to describe the fabric, but it reminds me of a seersucker. It’s lightweight so is perfect for summer!
This Kwik Sew pattern is not intimidating for beginners. The instructions are quite clear except that the front and back sections come in two separate pieces – a main body piece and a strip at the bottom for additional length. Now it would seem logical to have both taped strips be the same size, but no. After messing around a bit, throwing up my hands and pouring myself a glass of wine, I wound up with a robe that is a bit shorter than expected but is still certainly long enough for picking up the newspaper off the driveway!
I have a serger that has been sitting in a closet for about 10 years. Years ago it was my tool to make our window treatments and Kay Wood’s six-hour baby quilt but it had not been touched in probably a decade, and it had never been used for apparel. Last Sunday I spent over two hours (and another glass of wine) trying to thread the damned thing before I finally searched You Tube and found a video that clearly showed the process. With proper threading, it worked beautifully!
This was really quite easy an easy project once the fabric was cut and marked, and machines threaded. In addition to using the serger, the new challenges for me were using a contrasting fabric (where any wobbly seams would show), and adding piping.
Serging – The inside of the garment just looks so tidy, and I know it will stand up to countless washings.
The Fabric & Pattern – love both enough that I’d make the same pattern in the same fabric (different print) as a Christmas gift for one or both sisters …
First off, my own inability to read the back of the pattern. When I initially bought the fabric and pattern several weeks ago I bought the wrong amount of fabric. It was really fortunate that Hancock’s had a bolt when I ran back last Sunday.
And my inattention to detail when reading the pattern pieces.
Measure twice, cut once. Repeat.
All in all, I am thrilled with how the dressing gown turned out. This was a Kwik Sew pattern so I probably should have been able to complete it in about 3 hours, but I spent a total of 10 hours, including cutting time. But my great epiphany is that I love the process, not just hanging a new garment in my wardrobe.
Next Up: A short-sleeved, button-down-the-back top. And I’m making a muslin first!